Friday, May 1, 2020

May Day 2020

Happy May Day! This year of all years I have been looking forward to making May Day gifts for our neighbors. We've all been socially distancing since the middle of March so I thought they could use something pretty to brighten their day. 

I love the May Day tradition, and I especially love that this is something I can do together with my kids. Last year my oldest was in school so he didn't get to be a part of it, but since schools are all doing virtual learning right now both of my boys helped out! We took aluminum cans that I have been saving and wrapped them in either pattern paper or jute twine. This was a good stash buster for some of my pretty pattern paper that I had been hoarding!

I think this one wrapped in the natural jute twine is my favorite. I loved the contrast of the rough jute with the delicate flowers. 

I printed tags on my computer, trimmed them out, then notched them into tags with scissors. Most are tied on with pink and white baker's twine. 

I picked up the flowers from Trader Joe's while I was also buying groceries. I used purple stock, white chrysanthemum and pink carnations.

My boys each had their favorite vase and had fun picking which neighbor got which bouquet. They took turns either carrying the flowers or ringing the doorbells. They were so cute running home as fast as they could after dropping off the flowers!


1 comment:

Debbie said...

Those are all lovely! I really like the jute idea. What a sweet thing to do for your neighbors and fun project to do with the boys!