Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Succulent Cards

Hello! I hope all is well in your corner of the world. I've continued to make and send out cards to friends, and especially the other moms in my MOPS group, during this time of home quarantine. As a card maker it is the perfect way of staying connected and hopefully brightening someone's day! Today's post is photo heavy as I made a TON of cards using Sugar Pea Design's set Stuck on You. I actually did something with these I've never done before. After figuring out which colors of ink I wanted my plants and pots to be, I stamped and die cut a HUGE pile of all the various pieces and then played around mixing and matching different groupings. It was like paper dolls with die cuts!

For this first card, I cut my card base from white card stock with Papertrey Ink's Noted: Scalloped A2 die.  The cacti are stamped in variations of Green Parakeet, New Leaf, Ripe Avocado and Mowed Lawn inks. Some are stamped on their die cuts and others are stamped directly on the card base. On some I used the rock and roll technique for a two-tone effect. The pots are all stamped in Blueprint Distress Oxide ink. After figuring out my placement, but before glueing anything down, I used the Nesting Basics: Pierced Ovals die to add some interest and ground my focal point. The "Hello" sentiment is from Simple Stems.

This next one is the same idea, but with just a single pot and the sentiment is from Sentiment Staples: Just a Note. I also mixed in a different set. See that little spiky plant on the right? That one is from Papertrey Ink's Putting Down Roots set, but it fit in beautifully.

I also dressed up the envelopes with a sentiment from Keep it Simple: Happy Mail. I embossed this in white because of the dark envelope color. I love the way the white pops against the blue!

For this card my pots got the terra cotta treatment! I used Really Rust (Stampin' Up!) and Rusty Hinge (Distress Oxide) inks.

This card was actually unintentional. I thought I was using my pierced ovals die, as I had on my other cards, when I ran my card base through my die cutting machine, only to discover I cut a huge oval hole in my card base! What I had done was accidentally used the oval die from the Noted: Scallop A2 set! As Bob Ross says, though, "There are no mistakes, just happy accidents." So I used the pierced oval I had accidentally cut, and attached it to a new scalloped card base with foam tape so it is popped up. I actually really like how it turned out and that it is different. Happy accident indeed!

More happy mail. :)

These next set of cards I switched things up and cut my base from Green Parakeet card stock using the Noted: Scalloped A2 Vertical die. I used the pierced rectangle that comes in that die collection to also cut the white panel my plants are on. The tall cactus in the middle is also from Putting Down Roots and while the pot has a coordinating die, the cactus does not. So I had to carefully cut it out by hand to try and match the rest of the die cut pieces. The sentiment is from Sentiment Staples: Thinking of You.

This card switches things up with a single pot and very full arrangement. The remaining pictures are the rest of the variations I made. They all use the same elements I've already talked about, but each one is unique.




I love how much variation there was using just the two main plant sets and a combination of various sentiments. Like I said before, I had never really worked in this method before, but I enjoyed it and love how many different but coordinating cards I ended up with in the end. I hope you enjoyed this lengthy post and were able to get some inspiration!

Stay safe and have a wonderful week!


SUPPLIES:

Stamps: Stuck on You (Sugar Pea Designs), Putting Down Roots, Sentiment Staples: Just a Note, Sentiment Staples: Thinking of You, Simple StemsKeep it Simple: Happy Mail (PTI)

Paper: Stamper's Select White, Green Parakeet (PTI)

Ink: Green Parakeet, New Leaf, Ripe Avocado, Raspberry Fizz, Pure Poppy, Smokey Shadow (PTI), Blueprint Sketch, Rusty Hinge, Mowed Lawn (Distress Oxide), Really Rust (SU!)

Dies: Stuck on You (Sugar Pea Designs), Putting Down Roots, Noted: Scalloped A2Noted: Scallop A2 Vertical, Nesting Basics: Pierced Ovals (PTI)

Other: clover envelopes, royal blue envelopes (Paper Source)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Well you know what they say? "You're killing me Smalls!". These cards are fantastic! They just kept coming and coming. Looks like had a fun time stamping :-)