Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mini Pecan Tarts

Aren't these adorable? What is it about things in miniature that ups the cute quotient? I took these to share at my women's Bible study at church last night, making sure to keep a few back so I would have some to photograph this morning. Because these are, after all, for you, too. *wink*

One of the things I both love and hate about baking is all of the different baking pans. There are so many fun shapes, like the mini muffin tins I used for these, which make baking fun. Who wouldn't want to nibble on one of these little cuties? It's not so daunting to eat a "mini" pecan pie. But a whole slice? No, no, I don't want that much. Hehe.

But on the flip side, you need SO many pans. For example: One recipe uses a 10" spring form pan. Well, I only have a 9". Is that ok? Do I need to reduce the recipe? Yikes, save me from the math! I'm not joking when I say I have 8 different loaf pans for this very reason. Eight. And don't get me started on the cake pans.

I wish I could tell you I had conversions available for every conceivable size and shape at the ready for you, but alas, I just have these. Happy baking!

Mini Pecan Tarts adapted from Allrecipes
makes 48

INGREDIENTS
PASTRY
1 cup butter, at room temperature
6 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour

FILLING
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans

PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

To make the pastry, cream together the butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add flour and mix well. Make into 48 1-inch balls. Place one ball in each cup of a mini muffin pan. Use your fingers to press the dough into the cup.

To make the filling, break the eggs into a large bowl but do not beat. Add sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and pecans. Mix well. Fill each tart shell 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove tarts from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Will you make some of these when dad and I come to visit in October?

Ricochet said...

are they hard to get out of the pan, do you find that it's better to let them cool a little before you try to pull them out?

Thanks!
Bekah

The Apple Crate said...

The crust is almost like a shortbread, buttery enough that all I had to do was turn the pan upside down and nearly all of them fell out.

I popped them out almost immediately after taking them out of the oven; I've had issues with non-stick bake ware burning things if left in too long. Hope that helps! :)