Friday, June 28, 2013

Peach Jam


Summer is here and the Georgia peaches are ripe. I saw these blushing beauties at the grocery store last week and couldn't resist. They found their way into my cart and came home with me. Time to make jam!


It's been a long time since I've made any kind of jam or fruit butter.  Usually I make a batch of apple butter in the fall, and often some sort of jam in the summer, but I think it has been a year and a half since I've put anything up. My pantry definitely needed restocking!


I didn't do anything fancy, I just used the recipe that came with the fruit pectin box. I once had a lovely peach butter that I bought at a farmer's market that was amazing. If anyone out there has a good peach butter recipe, please share!


In the meantime, I look forward to slathering my morning toast with this peach goodness!





Peach Jam (from Sure-Jell)
makes approx. 7 cups

INGREDIENTS
4 c. finely chopped peaches (approx. 3 lbs.)
5 1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin

PREPARATION
Bring boiling water canner, half full with water, to simmer.

Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

Measure exact amount of prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart pot. Stir in lemon juice. Stir 1 box of pectin into fruit.

Bring mixture to full roiling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in sugar quickly. Return to full roiling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4" of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process jam 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is needed).

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm looking forward to sharing some of this peach goodness when I come to visit you :-)