Tuesday, February 16, 2021

It's Cake Chomping Time

When My Favorite Things released their Baby Shark die-namic and Sharky Sentiments set, I bided my time until they went on sale and then bought them. Both my boys love sharks, especially my oldest, so I knew they would eventually get put to good use. Well, my oldest just celebrated his 8th birthday so I finally got a chance to play and make him a fun shark card!
 
The body of the shark is die cut from Smoky Slate card stock and the mouth is cut from Soft Stone card stock. Both of those pieces were also lightly sponged around the edges with their coordinating ink to give the shark a little dimension. The body of the shark has embossing lines built in so it is extremely easy to line up the eyes and mouth. 

To create the underwater background I used four different shades of blue distress oxide ink and the Ray of Light stencil. Before laying down the stencil, I lightly ink blended Tumbled Glass and Salty Ocean ink from top to bottom on my white card base. Then I put the stencil over top and blended more Tumbled Glass and Salty Ocean, along with Blueprint Sketch and Chipped Sapphire toward the bottom. After removing the stencil I went back and laid down a little more color so the lines weren't quite so stark. Once I was happy with the colors I splattered it with water to create "bubbles". There were several moments during this process I was sure I had ruined the whole thing but I am happy with how it turned out. 

The Sharky Sentiments are all really funny but this is the one I chose. It is embossed in white on a black strip die cut with one of the Skinny Mini Banners from PTI. What I loved about this particular banner was the jagged edges, like the shark had "chomped" off the edges! The shark and the sentiment are both popped up with foam tape and that is that. I love how this turned out and so did my son!


SUPPLIES:

Stamps: Sharky Sentiments (MFT)

Paper: Stamper's Select White, Soft Stone, True Black (PTI), Smoky Slate (SU!)

Ink: Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Blueprint Sketch, Chipped Sapphire, Aged Mahogany (Distress Oxide), Smoky Slate (SU!)


Other: Ray of Light Stencil (MFT), white embossing powder

1 comment:

Debbie said...

HaHaHa!! That is adorable!